Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The necklace

Here's one of the scrapbook pages I did on Vivian's first days of kindergarten. The journaling is below:



When I walked you into your classroom on the first day of school, you were very brave. But as I started to leave, a few tears came into your eyes. Then you reached up to your neck and said “You forgot to give me a necklace!” The night before, as we were lying in bed talking about your first day of school, you asked me to give you a necklace to wear,. You said “then if I start missing you, I can just reach up and touch your necklace.” I thought that was the sweetest thing I had ever heard. However, in the hustle and bustle of getting ready for the first day of school I forgot the necklace! I was horrified. I scrounged through my purse, hoping to find something to give you but I couldn’t find anything. I didn’t have a necklace on. Finally, I kissed your cheek and told you to touch your cheek if you missed me. A few stray tears rolled down your checks but you were a brave girl and waved goodbye as I left. I, on the other hand, felt horrible and bawled like a baby all the way to work. I couldn’t believe I forgot to give you a necklace! I was going to go back home and get one for you but everyone told me you’d be fine, and you were. You were all smiles when I picked you up from your first day of school. That night we went through my jewelry box and you found a pretty pearl necklace that you liked.

And here you are headed for your second day of kindergarten, with your necklace on! You wouldn’t even let me walk you in the second day. You wanted to be dropped off. But you wore the necklace all week. And you still want to wear it from time to time. Our very sweet and brave girl, I can’t begin to tell you how much we love you and how very proud we are of you. Your teacher tells us that you are doing very well in class, that you are smart and very well behaved!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Gracie's Mom said…

    Tooo sweet, I'm so glad I read this cause I would've been an hour late to work running back home for the necklace. Good to know she did fine without it. This will be such a beautiful memory.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home