Friday, May 06, 2005

My Grandmother's rose bush



In February 1994, my grandmother passed away suddenly. She was only 74 years old and in great health. We were very close and it was a very difficult time for me and my mom. We still miss her very much.

After she died, I dug up a rose bush from her yard and planted at my house. The next year, we sold our house. We weren't sure where we were moving so I put it in the contract that I could come back and dig up the rose bush. We ended up divorcing and I lived in a rental for 9 months before finding a house I liked and bought.

So, in 1997, 2 years after we sold our house, mom and I went knocking on these people's door, shovel in hand, to dig up Rossie's rose bush. They looked at us like we were crazy, but allowed us to dig it up. We were in my car and the bush had grown tremendously but I wouldn't let my mom trim any of it. It is a rambling rose bush so there were branches sticking out the windows as we drove. We planted it at my new little house and it thrived. I think I have a picture of it there somewhere which I will try to find and post.

But, of course, the journey of Rossie's rose does not end there. In 1999 I met Rick, and we got married in February 2000. I sold my house and once again, had it written in the contract that I could come back and get my rose bush. Rick and I bought a house in July 2000, but both of us knew it wouldn't be the place that we stayed. We loved the house but hated the location and continued to look for our dream home.

In May 2003 we found our perfect house. In 2004, trusty shovel in hand, I once again went to retrieve Rossie's rose bush. It was massive! I don't know why I didn't think to take a picture of it before we moved it because it was huge and we had to cut a lot of it down to move it.

Once again, it survived the move and here it is below, 11 years later, in it's final resting place. I think Rossie would be proud that it is finally at home where it belongs, as am I.

Rossie's Roses Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

  • At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is such a great story!!!

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't believe Rossie has been gone that long. Hemphill was never the same after that dreadful day. Roses are beautiful. Rossie would be proud of you if she were still here on earth. NOw she is proud of you in Heaven. Love ya, Tina

     

Post a Comment

<< Home