My Memories of New Orleans and Biloxi
The tragic events unfolding on the gulf coast and in New Orleans this week have left me feeling so sad and helpless. It is unfathomable to me that there are people less than a 5 hour drive from where I am safely sipping on a cold drink and browsing the internet that are dying from lack of food and water. I'm heartbroken for all these people who have lost everything, and some their lives, and for the destruction of so much history and beautiful places.
I've always loved the Gulf Coast. My mom and grandmother took my brother and I on many a vacation to Florida when we were kids. We loved to go across the Lake Pontratrain bridge although I was always afraid, it was so long! We were always so excited to get to Bay St. Louis because we could exit the freeway and finally see the ocean!
When I was older, I enjoyed driving down Highway 90 along the Mississippi coast and looking at the beautiful old houses across from the beach. I always wanted to stop and see Jefferson Davis' home but it seemed like we always arrived there late in the day and were trying to get to Destin so we just kept going. Now I'll never have the chance.
I've been to New Orleans twice. The first time was back in the early 90's with the law firm I used to work for. We had a great time and spent alot of time on Bourban Street! It was such an exciting city, full of energy and history.
My mom and best friend Kim and I went in 2002. We stayed at a beautiful hotel in downtown New Orleans on Canal Street. We took a buggy ride in the French Quarters, did a walking tour of the Garden District, and again, had a drink on Bourban Street!
Kim and I went to Biloxi just last year to celebrate our 40th birthdays and the 20 year anniversary of our friendship. We stayed at the Beau Rivage and had a wonderful time. It was a beautiful hotel and casino and we really enjoyed the spa and pool.
Below is my pictorial walk down memory lane. It is my sincere hope that all these places will be rebuilt to be even better than before. But they will never be the same...
Downtown New Orleans

Kim and I in the bar at the top floor of our hotel on Canal Street overlooking the City of New Orleans and the Mississippi River.

Mom and Kim at Jackson Square

St. Louis Cathedral built in 1784.

The ceiling of St. Louis Cathedral

Buggy ride through the French Quarters

The oldest bar in the United States on Bourban Street in New Orleans

Author Anne Rice's home in the Garden District

Another beautiful home in the Garden District.

Beau Rivage Casino and Spa in Biloxi, Mississippi

Kim and I at Beau Rivage overlooking the Gulf of Mexico

Kim and I at Beau Rivage

Me on the beach in Biloxi

Kim on the beach in Biloxi
I've always loved the Gulf Coast. My mom and grandmother took my brother and I on many a vacation to Florida when we were kids. We loved to go across the Lake Pontratrain bridge although I was always afraid, it was so long! We were always so excited to get to Bay St. Louis because we could exit the freeway and finally see the ocean!
When I was older, I enjoyed driving down Highway 90 along the Mississippi coast and looking at the beautiful old houses across from the beach. I always wanted to stop and see Jefferson Davis' home but it seemed like we always arrived there late in the day and were trying to get to Destin so we just kept going. Now I'll never have the chance.
I've been to New Orleans twice. The first time was back in the early 90's with the law firm I used to work for. We had a great time and spent alot of time on Bourban Street! It was such an exciting city, full of energy and history.
My mom and best friend Kim and I went in 2002. We stayed at a beautiful hotel in downtown New Orleans on Canal Street. We took a buggy ride in the French Quarters, did a walking tour of the Garden District, and again, had a drink on Bourban Street!
Kim and I went to Biloxi just last year to celebrate our 40th birthdays and the 20 year anniversary of our friendship. We stayed at the Beau Rivage and had a wonderful time. It was a beautiful hotel and casino and we really enjoyed the spa and pool.
Below is my pictorial walk down memory lane. It is my sincere hope that all these places will be rebuilt to be even better than before. But they will never be the same...
Downtown New Orleans

Kim and I in the bar at the top floor of our hotel on Canal Street overlooking the City of New Orleans and the Mississippi River.

Mom and Kim at Jackson Square

St. Louis Cathedral built in 1784.

The ceiling of St. Louis Cathedral

Buggy ride through the French Quarters

The oldest bar in the United States on Bourban Street in New Orleans

Author Anne Rice's home in the Garden District

Another beautiful home in the Garden District.

Beau Rivage Casino and Spa in Biloxi, Mississippi

Kim and I at Beau Rivage overlooking the Gulf of Mexico

Kim and I at Beau Rivage

Me on the beach in Biloxi

Kim on the beach in Biloxi


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home